Ocean Action Agenda: Supporting Regional Ocean Economies and Ecosystems
March 8, 2017
In March 2017, The Joint Ocean Commission Initiative (JOCI) released an interactive digital report, the Ocean Action Agenda: Supporting Regional Ocean Economies and Ecosystems. The report can be accessed at oceanactionagenda.org. These recommendations for the Trump Administration and Congress will ensure the health and productivity of our oceans, coasts, and Great Lakes and grow our economy.
The actions are organized into nine priority areas the Trump Administration and Congress should tackle over the next four years.
- Build strong coasts and economies
- Support regional collaboration
- Be an international leader
- Invest in science and research
- Prioritize U.S. interests in the Arctic
- Support healthy economies and ecosystems
- Foster sustainable fisheries
- Facilitate responsible offshore energy
- Support an ocean investment fund
JOCI’s recommendations were informed by input gathered at Regional Ocean Leadership Roundtables convened in the U.S. Arctic and East, West, and Gulf Coasts. At these roundtables, JOCI brought together more than 250 local, state, tribal, and national leaders representing diverse industry, government, and nonprofit interests to identify creative solutions to critical ocean and coastal issues.